Wednesday, December 20, 2006

"Drug Abuse?!"

I grew up in the 1980's and early 1990's, and I was indoctrinated into a program called "D.A.R.E.".

For those that don't know what the acronym means, I'll lay it out for you.

D.A.R.E. stands for, "Drug Abuse Resistance Education".

Essentially, it was a Propaganda program devised by the Reagan Administration to tell kids that Drugs are bad... yeah, I know. It's about as ridiculous as it sounds.

Us, a Generation of kids that grew up during the Crack Epidemic, with most of our parents high on Coke and Weed... did they honestly think that we didn't know what was up?

Look, the only thing that they showed us was a series of films that told us that PCP made you think you were a fucking superhero and had the ability to fly, that Coke made you think that Disco was cool and Weed was a demon plant that encourages you to think that shitty cartoons from the 1970's were actually worth a shit.

In other words, D.A.R.E. was a failure... on a scale not seen since "Clash of The Titans", and just as confusing.

Most of my friends in High School did drugs, from Coke and Crack to Speed and Pot, and I never found it interesting... call me crazy. I smoked Pot once in High School, and it made think I was a Fly, and I spent twenty minutes buzzing annoyingly in my friends faces before I felt like the Alien was trying to burst forth from my ribcage. Basically, it sucked more than a trip with your girlfriend to the Holocaust Museum on your Anniversary.

Since then, I've only smoked weed three times, and they all sucked on the same scale. I tried it out, but it just wasn't for me. The way to stop kids from doing drugs later on in life is really simple, and it worked for me. And here it is:

Have them actually watch people get high, and how they really act afterwards.

For example, nothing encourages you to sniff Speed like watching a friend mainline it, freebase it or sniff it up their nose and be completely unable to sleep for three days.

All I'm saying here is, "Be real with your kids about drugs, since they can either find out through you, or find out on the streets." I've seen all these retarded Antidrug.com and Truth.org commercials for the last three years, and I find it redundant. Kids aren't as ignorant of the truth when it comes to drugs like our parents were, who once used to thing that Coke wasn't any more addictive than Peanut Butter or Sugar... they have the Internet to research the facts instead of just relying on the opinions of their parents, which aren't worth much, to be honest.

Drugs hurt you, yes. But, not all drugs hurt you. We all ingest Caffeine, Nicotine or Alcohol from time to time, and although they're legal, and they're still addictive. Hypocrisy is systemic when it comes to Drug Education, and I think that it's a good idea to move forward by actually educating kids about the truth on the side-effects that happen from Drug Abuse, not Drug Use, which there's nothing really wrong with, in my mind.

In other words, let's move on from the Propaganda and start telling kids the truth, like they (and we) deserve.

1 Comments:

Blogger Godwhacker said...

The war on drugs was/is little more then an excuses for a power grab, much like today's war on terror. In both examples government actions act as the agent-provocateur to create the problem they claim to oppose.

Happy New Year Todd. I hope your doing well.

(the other) GW

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home