Thursday, January 12, 2006

"Micro-Managing Bosses and Shitty Jobs"

There are a lot of things that irritate me, as you probably picked up on, but few things piss me off more then Micro-Managing bosses. And they only seem to get hired at jobs that are miserable by sheer design. The worst examples of these types of walking sphincters are the ones that can only be found at that most American of institutions: The Shitty Job. While working at the 7-11 in Castaic, California in mid 1999, I was indoctrinated into the world of the miserable minimum wage hell that is being a convenience store night clerk. On several occasions I would be taking a five-minute sit down after one of the major rushes that would happen there (which often lasted over an hour at a time), and the assistant manager, a middle-aged blonde lady named Stephanie would walk in and ask me why I was sitting down instead of doing something.

My response was simple, “Why don’t you go in the back office and pretend to be doing the job that you are undoubtedly getting paid much more than I am to do and shut the hell up.” Her response was one of stunned silence, and she would go back and complain to the Franchisee that owned the place about me. Now, in most jobs I would have been fired for that, but the owners of the store were pretty cool about it, since they knew that that pain in the ass was always on my case for no reason. I personally think that she wanted what I believe can only be described in the immortal words of the true poet laureate of our generation, 50 Cent in calling it “The Magic Stick”. But I’ve been wrong before, so let’s not fly off the handle on that until we compile some more research.

The second and most memorable of my experiences with the Bill Lumberg-esque style of management came a year and a half into my time at the Cost Plus in Santa Cruz, California. Her name was Rene, and we came up with at least twelve insulting nicknames for her and amongst the myriad names that we called her, here are my favorites: Scary Mary, Witchy-poo, Bean Counter, and the Infamous Birdlady. The Birdlady was a name that I came up with due to the irritating pitch of her voice that was somewhere between Fran Drescher and a frickin’ dog whistle. She also had a tendency to dart her head around a lot when she talked, so that made the nickname even funnier.

Whenever my friend Raw and I were pulling pallets out of the warehouse to be staged by the rest of the crew, she would always tell us what to do, while we were already in the process of doing it. Here’s a sample of what she would say, “Raaaawwww, Toooodddd! Pullthepapasanpillows! Pullthepapasanpillows!” And while fighting to urge to drop a pallet of wine on her to see if her feet would curl up like the wicked witch in “The Wizard of Oz”, we would have to tell her to get the hell out of the warehouse and let us do our jobs. That specific trait is the defining characteristic of the Micro-Managing Boss: The seeming inability to use their eyes to find out what’s going on right in front of them.

And also, an important thing to note is that a “Shitty Job” is a subjective definition that describes a job wherein you only work there for the money, and you only stay there because of the money. Think of it as if you were applying to colleges, and your list was: Yale, Harvard, Princeton and Stinky’s Hair and Skin Cosmetology Academy of Southern New Jersey. I’m willing to bet that if you could get into the first three, you would, but if you had no choice, Stinky’s H&S (Go, Fightin’ Cuticles!!!) would have to do for the time being, since that’s what a Shitty Job is like. But typically the biggest problem with a Shitty Job is that they pay you just enough that you can’t afford to quit, being that you teeter on the edge of abject poverty and homelessness between paychecks.

And as I wrap up this little segment, I have one final question: Why is it that the less you’re paid, the harder you have to work?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its simple logic. When you start out in a shitty job, your pissed because you get shit on. So when you advance pass busboy, to waiter, you feel its fair to shit on the bus boy since they shit on you. Its the food chain baby, get used to it. No one shits on you if they fear you, and all fear the Chapster, so i just give the shit.

chappy

1:20 PM  
Blogger Todd Tobin said...

Laura, I understand every word that you just wrote. I've had a couple of toadstools that felt that being the buddy of the boss made them right all of the time, but I realized that miracles can be worked with a mere dress sock full of quarters.

Chappy, didn't I tell you that the AA Meetings are on H-8 next door to the tattoo parlor? The only people that fear you are the ones that know that they'll have to use the bathroom after you ate a big bowl of Kim Chi the night before... get some Gas-X and a can of Glade Scented Spray and you'll find the Terror Alert being dropped to "Blue".

As usual, a pleasure to write to both of you...


Todd

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, someone might think you really hate your job. A job that allows you enough time on your computer to write these insightful comments. Gosh I hope you didn't give your boss the address to this or he/she might take it personally.
-Yo

10:34 AM  
Blogger Todd Tobin said...

Hey Andy,

This isn't about you, or the job that I have now, it's about the Dollar Theatre, 7-11 and Cost Plus that I worked at. I figured that you would know that by reading the material. Besides, this is an old segment that I wrote when my computer at home still worked. I figured that this would be a good one to post, since many people can relate to it. Besides... you worked at a Subway, so I know that you can relate to this topic.


Todd

10:38 AM  
Blogger Todd Tobin said...

I typically don't even have that many people that I know even looking at this thing, and aside from you, Laura, I think that me and you are the only ones even reading half of the stuff that I write.

But I'm not worried about Yo, I think that he's just messing with me... he knows that I think he's a cool boss... whether he's reading this or not.


Todd

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Fightin' Cuticles!!! Woohoo!!

I'm lucky to be in my current job - I email my boss (in Texas) once a week to give him a status, and get back a "keep up the good work" reply now and then. He flies out here once a year to visit.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Todd Tobin said...

Damn... what do you want, woman?!


Todd


Thanks for checking in, Eryc...

11:19 AM  
Blogger Godwhacker said...

Middle-management often (though not always) attracts the worst of humanity, those who are too inept to be the real boss and too dumb to realize that taking on all that responsibility for the paltry sums they are paid is a bad deal. What they don't get in cash, they get in power ~ the power to tell you what to do. For some people that is a big kick.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home