Friday, December 16, 2005

"Patriotism is Subjective"

I find it interesting that many of the people that are either in the public eye or not that say American citizens need to be more patriotic are the same people that have never served in any branch of the Armed Forces. Am I the only one that has noticed this, or is anyone else paying attention?

I served for only two years in the Navy, but I really enjoyed the time that I was in... so much so that I would join the Reserves, if only I didn't have to shave all of my facial hair off. Sorry, but that's a big deal with me... I went through the majority of my life without having any facial hair at all, so now that I can, I tend of cling to it like Linus holds onto his blanket. But enough of this gay banter, back to the subject!

The main thing that many people assume about the men and women that serve is that they do it out of some kind of patriotic inclination that, frankly, doesn't exist. You don't join the Armed Forces because you read Captain America a lot as a kid, and everytime you see the flag, a tiny tear drips slowly down your cheek; you join because you need a job and money for college, and there aren't any jobs were you live. That's why I joined, and as I've talked to more and more people that are either still in or have already been discharged, that's the main answer I get as to why they joined in the first place.

Now, there are a few people out there that have genuinely joined out of a perceived obligation to their country, but they are really, really rare. After September 11, 2001 happened, a lot of young Americans started signing up to serve their country, but it wasn't out of Patriotism, it was out of the need for revenge... and there's nothing patriotic about revenge, no matter how well-deserved you think it may be. Now look at the present state of the military, and tell me what part of being blown up by someone who doesn't want you in their country is patriotic... I'm sure the British would have a thing or two to say on the subject. Why? Because that's what we did to them... over two-hundred years ago. It kind of sucks to have people who aren't from your country telling you what you can and can't do... hell, I can't stand half of the police that I've met here that are from southern states, and that's just because of the accent!

Now imagine that your town has been bombed into a crater, and the people that made it that way are - in your mind - just hanging around, cleaning it up... with guns slung over their shoulders... and they don't speak your language. That's like dating a chick who has ridiculous, violent outbursts and destroys your house, while you're watching, after you break up, and then sits in the middle of the rubble that used to be your entertainment center for a couple of days before cleaning it up - while pointing a knife at you - and refuses to move out. After a while, you'd probably feel like chucking her off of the balcony, wouldn't you?

Now think of all that on a country-wide scale... with religion and explosives all tied up into it... scary, huh?

I'm not saying that if you join the military, you're a sucker who can't think for yourself... I'm saying that Patriotism, as many people refer to it, is largely a myth. You typically don't fight for something based off of a vague generality, you fight because of something specific, like the love of your family, or greed. I got into the service to serve my country, yes, but not because of a patriotic ideal... but because I needed a job, and this was one where I had a 4-year contract with a good guarantee that I wouldn't get a pink slip for no reason. Being in the military isn't a seasonal job, and you don't get treated like you won't be there in a couple of months.

I view patriotism as a simplistic way of thinking of your country in a positive light, when you should be thinking critically about it... all of the time. Like how we trained Osama bin Laden in the late 70's (along with hundreds of other Mujihadeen) to get the Russians out of the Middle East. That's a fact. Now, I know that it may be a hard pill to swallow, but the US isn't a perfect country, and we have largely made our own enemies personally, by hand, like a clay statue... that's just the way it is. But I'd rather be skeptical of what I'm told, than blindly walk into a hail of bullets just because I didn't think for myself, like all adults are supposed to. If you're in, or have ever been in the service, and you disagree with what I have written here, feel free to disagree with me.

I'm not anti-or-pro-military, I just think that our military should be used on only the rarest of occasions, not once every 7-or-so years, whenever the president at that moment feels like showing to the rest of the world that we still have balls. In my mind, critical thought is one of those things that we as a species have over everything else, we just don't use it as often as we should. And I'll end this segment on that note, but before I leave, I'll just give you one final comment on this area of discussion:

Take those stupid yellow, magnetic stickers that say, "Support our Troops" off of your car. You're not supporting anybody by having that crap on your vehicle, all right? If you're such a die-hard supporter of the troops, why don't you get in contact with a couple of them via e-mail and ask them is they need night-vision goggles or body armor so that they can come home in the same condition that they arrived in. Besides, if you have a job that taxes you automatically out of every check, you already support the troops, so you don't need a decal.

I think that it's more important that you try to get them home safe and sound than to condone the illegality of why they're there in the first place.

Now, if you had, "Get our troops home" on your car... that would be appropriate.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just happened to stumble upon your blog (no bruise).. Ok, I'm stalking. You're funny. Cynical and sarcastic, but funny. And yet so serious when I see you! See? Stalking! Keep up the funny, thanks!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Todd Tobin said...

I find myself simultaneously frightened and interested... are you a real stalker, or just one of my friends messing with me?

Would like an actual answer, though... unless one of the conditions of your parole is not identifying yourself, of course.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like a wise woman once said..."I'm not an American, I'm just a person living in America."

I look at the people who make decisions for us and wonder where in the HELL are we going.

I agree our military should be for emergencies. The more time the military has to incubate the stronger its ranks can be.

We are setting a bad example, what happens when the strong guy flexes and gets all the girls in the summer? The skinny guy works out and tops him the next year...I hope this isn't our fate.


HAHA

11:54 AM  
Blogger Todd Tobin said...

Unfortunately, that is the direction we're headed in, and apparently we as American citizens have little choice in the matter other than sending e-mails to our Congressmen/women and our Senators. And we all know that a mojority of them vote along party lines and rarely think for themselves. Maybe a prerequisite of serving in public office should be a psych eval to establish if that person can think independently and actually has a creative, problem-solving-oriented mind.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, not really stalking. I'll send you an email.

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home